The Service Bureau stops processing IRS/SSA/State eFile and Full Service uploads at the end of each year. This is because the IRS shutters at yearend to perform annual maintenance. Additionally, the Service Bureau uses the last few weeks of December to transition our internal system to the new Pub. 1220 and 1187 specifications for the upcoming Tax Year. Bulk TIN Match uploads are typically not impacted.
eFile & Full Service Uploads
1098/1099/392x/5498/W-2G and 1042-S forms are electronically filed via the IRS FIRE System. The FIRE System goes down for annual maintenance in late Fall through the first week of January. During this down period, the IRS cannot accept eFile submissions. When FIRE reopens in January, all eFiles must be submitted per current Pub. 1220 or Pub. 1187 specifications. Service Bureau customers will have their eFile and Full Service uploads automatically converted to the new TY specs. Customers who self-file must manually edit their electronic file to TY 2022 IRS filing specifications. Sovos 1099 Pro does not provide any guidance in manually editing files, nor can we edit files on your behalf.
- FIRE System Dates: https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire
- Pub 1220 Specifications: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1220.pdf
- Pub 1187 Specifications: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1187.pdf
The Service Bureau accepts IRS/SSA/State eFile and Full Service uploads until approximately a week BEFORE the FIRE System goes down. This is because we require a window of time to submit eFiles, then receive the IRS/SSA Good-Accepted or Bad-Rejected response.
- For calendar year 2022, the Service Bureau accepts eFile and Full Service uploads through 11/21/2022 5PM PT.
- For calendar year 2022, the Service Bureau accepts Print Only uploads through 12/21/2022 5PM PT.
Desktop Customers Only
- eFile and Full Service uploads received AFTER 11/21/2022 5PM PT will be queued for processing in February 2023. In January, the Service Bureau exclusively processes Original and Corrected TY 2022 uploads. In February, we update our system to convert PRIOR YEAR filings to TY 2022 specifications. If you submit an eFile upload during our downtime, it will automatically be submitted per TY 2022 specifications in February. The Service Bureau converts your file as a courtesy; standard Service Bureau rates apply. We cannot process eFile uploads submitted during our downtime BEFORE February - we appreciate your understanding.
Corporate Suite Customers - IMPORTANT
- Corporate Suite Prior Year eFiles will not be accepted (queued) during Service Bureau downtime. Service Bureau personnel will notify CS users to resubmit their Prior Year eFiles in February 2023. In January, the Service Bureau exclusively processes Original and Corrected TY 2022 uploads.
- Corporate Suite software is not designed to submit Prior Year eFile uploads directly to the Service Bureau. Instead, Corporate Suite customers must submit prior year eFiles as detailed at Corporate Suite Prior Year eFiles. Once the Service Bureau stops accepting eFile uploads for the calendar year, all eFile uploads are effectively "prior year" and must be submitted to the Service Bureau per that process. CS customers with Prior Year eFiles to submit should wait until February 2023, then follow the steps detailed at Corporate Suite Prior Year eFiles to submit their files. We cannot hold or queue prior year Corporate Suite Prior Year eFiles received prior to February 2023, at which time our system is ready to convert files to current tax year specifications.